As I was standing in line to vote this morning, I had the privilege of seeing someone vote for the first time. She was there with her grandpa and was about 8 years old. I saw them, along with the grandma and another young girl, walk in together, and I thought how cool it was that the girls got to experience first-hand how an election works. As I was standing there, I overheard the granddaughter say, "You're fast." Her grandpa replied, "Yes, it's because I studied hard and know all the answers." What a brilliant answer. Refreshing. Educational.
A short time later, I heard grandpa ask, "Do you want to do the judges?" I couldn't believe it, so I turned around. Sure enough, she had the pen and as he watched over her and pointed to the right lines, she marked his ballot. Was this legal? I have no idea. But I do know that one 8-year-old girl will never forget the day she voted with her grandpa.
And my guess is that when it comes her turn, she will be a fast voter, too.
2 comments:
That's so cool! I'm a little jealous.
That's great! I remember going with my parents to vote for president... it must have been the 1984 or 1988 election. It has always stayed with me.
Post a Comment