Pages

Sunday, November 30, 2008

Advent is Here

When my brother was very young, my parents set out to make Christmas about more than presents and Santa Claus. They wanted to make sure their children knew that Christmas is about the birth of Christ, the hope He brings, and the peace we enjoy because of Him. They also wanted to do something that would bring the family together each day. The Lord gave them a great idea that sprang from the season of Advent. Simply put, Advent is the four weeks leading up to, preparing for, and celebrating the birth of Christ. Each week, one candle (then two, then three, and so on) is lit in the Advent wreath. Week one is the the Prophecy candle, and the week's focus is planning. Week two is the Bethlehem candle, with a focus on planning. Week three is the Shepherds' candle, focusing on sharing. And week four is the Angels' candle, with the focus on joy. The idea the Lord gave mom and dad was that of an Advent Box. It works much like an Advent calendar, just on a larger scale. Each evening of Advent, we open one door in the box, behind which something is hidden. The night's event might as simple as a quick devotion, or it might be something more complex like eating outside by a fire like the shepherds did. This tradition continues still, and it is the best part of our Christmas. It literally guides our celebration. When the tree is in the box, we put up the tree. When the tiny laundry bag is in the box, we read Mickey's Christmas Carol. When the matchbox is in the box, we read The Best Christmas Pageant Ever. When the present (a block of wood still in its original 30ish year old wrapping paper) is in the box on Christmas Eve, we open presents.

Today is the first day of this Advent season. When I got home this evening, I saw that someone had left a sack on my door handle. Inside the sack were three smaller Christmas bags. A note was left on each sack..."Advent Sunday Day #1," "Day #2," and "Day#3." I opened Day #1 to find a pretty little bell, along with a note that said, "Well of course it's a bell! The sound of the bell rings in this first week of Advent which is symbolic of prophecy and the hope we have in Christ. Smile as you ring it and usher in this most exciting time of the year!"

A couple years ago, my family decided to share our tradition with others and wrote a book. About two months ago, I gave one of our books to my good friend Lesleigh. She read it in one afternoon, loved the idea, and said they wanted to do something during Advent season this year. When I saw my bag of Advent surprises, I immediately suspected Lesleigh. It couldn't have come from just anyone. It had to have come from someone who had read the book and understood that a bell is always in the box on the first day of Advent. Plus, the "Of course it's a bell" line was a direct quote from my contribution to the book. And Lesleigh is one of the very, very few people who live here and have read the book. I rang the bell with a smile, and called to thank her.

The Lord is so good. He really knows what I need. He knows that sometimes I have a hard time, especially during the holidays, with not having a family of my own. He knows that I want someone to understand a little of my family's tradition in more than just casual way. Today He showed me that He understands. And He showed me this by using my dear friend, knowing how close friends are to my heart. All my life, the Lord has blessed me with absolutely amazing friends.

Thank You, Lord, for loving me so intimately. Thank You for the friends who are really family. And thank you, Lesleigh, for my Advent surprises! You're the sweetest!!

4 comments:

KJG said...

How very cool. What a sweet idea. I just ordered my copy from Amazon. :)

Anonymous said...

That is amazing! Way to go, Lesleigh - your coolness factor just went way up in our family ;).

Happy Advent, Joy Lin! I'll see you next weekend for houses of bread!

KJG said...

My copy arrived today! Jackson and I have been making our own Advent activities up as we went along since we didn't have a guide.

KJG said...

One more order was placed today! My mom had to have her own copy, too!