Pages

Friday, August 29, 2008

Freeze Tag

I have been tagged twice...once by Chelley, once by Catrina. Apparently, I need to do this. However, since everyone I know has either already been tagged or wouldn't do this even if I did tag them, the buck stops here. I won't be tagging anyone else. Which, come to think of it, is pretty typical for me when I play tag.

Six things you may or may not have known about me:

One
I was Laurie (Cast A) in our 4th grade production of "Oklahoma!" I actually tried out for two other parts: Ado Annie and Aunt Eller. But they needed someone to read the part of Laurie during someone else's Ado Annie audition, and they asked me. I reluctantly read. The next day, they came around to all the classes to announce who got what part. I was devastated when I heard I was Laurie! (I know...Who is upset when they surprisingly get the lead role?!?) I think I got it because we had just moved there from Coalgate and I still had a real big Okie accent, which maybe they though Laurie needed. Or maybe I was just that good. Ha. I still know the opening lines. (Sining) "Oh, what a beautiful mornin', oh what a beautiful day..." (Notices Curly. Speaking.) "I thought you was somebody." (Ignores Curly, shakes out dish towel. Singing.) "...I've got a beautiful feelin'. Ev'rything's goin' my way." (Speaking to Aunt Eller [who was played by my best friend].) "Is this all that's come a-callin', and it's already 9:00 in the mornin'?"

Two
In 9th and 10th grades, I was in Mock Trial. I loved it! My role was to be a witness...don't remember which side I was on...I think defense. One time this lawyer on the other team asked me a question about how far away so-and-so was when I saw him. I had no idea. The guy rips out a tape measure and starts measuring the courtroom. Hilarious. We made so much fun of him for that.
Three
My first 2-3 months of college were absolutely miserable, starting before I even arrived on campus. I was soooo nervous!! I was literally sick with nerves the first two or three weeks...couldn't eat, it was awful. After I got over that, I couldn't seem to find people who I could really be friends with. Casual friends, sure, but not kindred spirits. Finally I found my nitch second semester and from then on I was unstoppable.

Four
My 2nd grade teacher spanked me on the last day of school. Only school spanking I ever got. Here's the story...and to this day I still think it was unfair. It was the last day of school, so we were cleaning out the classroom, getting it ready for summer. The room was really big, and at the back there was a deep room divider that was almost the full length and height of the room. On the classroom side were chalkboards and bulletin boards. On the back side was access to lots of storage. So this day, Mrs. Jackson chose two students to help her clean out the storage. I was not chosen, which probably hurt my teacher's-pet-feelings. The only people who were allowed behind the divider that afternoon were those two students. However. Lots of kids kept running back there. Mrs. Jackson would say, "I told you not to go back there!" or something along those lines. Occasional reprimands, but nothing severe. I decided that if she really wasn't going to enforce the rule, I might as well take a quick walk back there, too. After all, if none of them were getting in trouble, fairness said I had one free breakage of the rule. Something must have snapped, because Mrs. Jackson caught Sarina, a girl who was always in trouble, and me, who was never in trouble. She reprimanded us, then, to my surprise, took us across the hall for Mrs. Harris (or Farris...there were both and I never could keep them straight) to witness swats. This was back in the days when it was OK for teachers to give swats. So Sarina and I both got three swats. Sarina cried. I did not. I am very proud of that. Our house-rule was that if you got in trouble at school, you got in trouble at home, so I swore to myself that I wouldn't tell mom and dad about my spankings. My plan was to tell them when I was 20, I think, because by then I would be too old to spank. I didn't hold out quite that long. I think I was around 13 when I finally told them.

Five
In college, Lindsay, Denise, and I used to go to the C-Store on weekends to use our meal points. The best thing to get was ice cream. We would each get a pint and take it back to the dorm. Then we'd sit and watch a movie while eating those pints of ice cream. We had to eat the whole thing...No freezer. Personal favorite: Blue Bell Cookies 'N Cream. Mmmm...

Six
I wore headgear. For a long time, I had dents in my upper lip where the wires came out my mouth to hook onto the part that went around my head. I kept the headgear for years, thinking I would give it as a gag gift sometime. Haha! Wouldn't that be a terrible thing to get from someone?!? (Lucky for all of you, I never had the courage to do that, and I got rid of it a few years ago.)

3 comments:

Cat on the Run said...

Wow! Usually when someone you know posts one of these things, you usually know at least one thing...I didn't know any of those! Good list!

Anonymous said...

Dude! *I* didn't even know about the spanking! I can't believe it! I think my world just shifted a little bit. Sneaky sneaky, keeping it on the DL all these years. And good for you for not crying.

Chelley N said...

The spanking story is fantastic! I can't believe you were one of the "bad kids"!!!