I was just starting to write this post (and now I've started over) when I got distracted. Don't be alarmed, it happens all the time. I clicked over to Bekah's blog to see if she'd written anything today. As it turned out, she had. Today's blog totally cracked me up and made me think, "She's stinkin' hilarious!" Yesterday's blog, on the other hand, just made me think. [Insert long pause here. No really, do it.] And after I thought, I thought, "Whoa. My sister is brilliant."
When I was in college, one thing mom consistently prayed was that God would give me a mentor. I was a business major, and in the world of business (and, really, every career), connections and mentors are very valuable. I never found that mentor, though. The closest thing I had was one professor who was a great Christian man, and I would stop by and visit with him every now and then about his grandkids and how he used to work in upper management of TG&Y and how he knew David Green (Hobby Lobby founder/CEO). I'm so glad I had that kind of relationship with him, but it definitely didn't evolve into a true mentor/mentee situation. But then I graduated, worked in business for a year, and realized that's not where I fit at all. My place was in higher ed. And guess what. That's where my mentors were all along. Not only are they good friends, but they have lots of experience and want to do everything they can to help me succeed. This week I was feeling stressed and frustrated. You know how it can get sometimes. So I shot off an email cry for help to one of those mentors. He actually was the person who told me, while I was in the middle of business classes, that I was going to end up in higher ed. I argued, believe it or not. Back to the story. I'm so thankful for the way God works. He (mentor, not God) IM'd me last night for a few minutes (which is huge...he's only IM'd about twice in his life). And he e-prayed for me. That's what I call it...he typed out a prayer. That alone meant more to me than I can say. And then he called today and we talked for a long time about higher ed, his experiences, my experiences, all that. It's just really good to know that God has given me people who have been there, know what it's like, understand where I have come from, understand where I'm going, understand the system, and can say from experience, "It's going to be OK." Because it really is. It's good to have a mentor say it, though.
I saw a great news story today. The DMV in North Carolina is offering to replace 10,000 license plates for free. Why, you ask? Because the prefix on them is "WTF". For those of you not familiar with texting language, use your imagination and you'll probably get it right. Now, you know I'm not a proponent of profanity. This, however, is hilarious. I mean, can't you picture Wilburn and Mable tootin' down the road on the way to the 11:00 service, completely oblivious to the fact that they're cussing right back at the 16 year old in the hot rod who's stuck in the line of traffic behind them?

Also remarkable in the news was the Supreme Court's decision that the right to bear arms actually means the right to bear arms. I'm sure John will discuss this at length. I, however, only mention it so I can post a pic of one of my all-time favorite t-shirts.
Tonight I watched The Matrix. It's a thinker. I have a memory of when I was a kid. I remember that I was sitting in the bathtub and all of a sudden I thought, "What if all this is a dream? How do I know this is real?" It scared me. If only I'd known I could have been the one to make millions off that thought...
Appears there was no main attraction in this post after all. I got distracted.
4 comments:
1. Thanks.
2. The WTF license plate story is hilarious.
3. I love that picture.
4. I had that thought too!
5. My "word verification" is xuydfgrc. That's not even a word.
Hey Joy Lin, thanks for commenting on my blog. I'm always happy to have more readers!
LOVE the "bear arms" pic:) Too cute!
Wondering if this is all a dream? I thought I was the only kid who ever thought that.
Still, Decartes beat us all to the punch by a few hundred years.
-Jared
Post a Comment