We're in the middle of June Conference at church. It's about Marketplace Ministry, which, to be honest, I was not excited about. Now I want to take tomorrow off to go. We've had two speakers, both amazing. The first was Dennis Peacocke. Interesting, brilliant man. In the '60s he was a Berkeley student and all that implies. Became a Marxist for a while. Was a political theory major. Later he got to know Jesus. Economic analysis was his job for many years. Now he travels around the world building nations. Not companies within nations. Nations.
The second speaker, whose first session was tonight, is equally brilliant. Eric Beck is a logic man, which is pretty interesting. I'm not sure I've ever heard anyone who is really, really good at logic. Fascinating. Anyway, for his job, he is a consultant for businesses. His mission is to take Dennis Peacock's big huge picture and break it down into practical things. (Dennis is his father-in-law, which is convenient.) I'm telling you, we were all hanging on to every single word. First off, he brought his seven year old son up on stage with him. Then he explained that he has four sons and when they hit about six or seven, he starts taking them on business trips. He explained that it is his job to impart what he knows to people. Because his family is his primary responsibility, he brings his sons along so God can impart to them, through him. Then he admonished parents to take their children to work with them. Why? Because kids need to see their parents doing what they're good at, doing that thing that drives them and sparks something inside. Then he put his hand on his son's shoulder and said, "And this is my son, in whom I am well pleased." And that was the beginning of his message to us.
Here's my dad, who had few days at work that I wasn't a part of at some point.
1 comments:
And you are my daughter, with whom I am well pleased!
Love you.
Dad
Post a Comment