
Last night, for the first time in my life, I saw The Phantom of the Opera. Fabulous. Absolutely beautiful sets. They used 2,700 yards of drapery! And the actors, of course, are unbelievably talented. The fact that any human can hit and sustain the notes Christine hits with confidence, clarity, and musicality...amazing. And then to think she does this over and over and over again. The role is so strenuous that basically every group that performs Phantom has two Christines so one doesn't have to do, for example, a matinée and evening performance the same day. And Phantom..gorgeous voice.Some people went all-out for the show. A couple guys were in suits with canes and top-hats. The best costume, however, sat beside Bekah. Black pinstripe suit, red handkerchief in the pocket, hat, and...mask. He was over the top. His clap was really loud and quick. At the end he stood and yelled, "Bravisimo! Bravisimo!"
Our seats were great...Orchestra (floor), row Q, in the middle. We were just above eye level with the performers. Close enough to see their faces, far enough away to not be distracted by them.
The only thing I regret is that I knew so little about the story. I had purposefully not watched the movie or read much about Phantom. I didn't want anything to "mar" my first viewing. I wanted it to be the real thing. Which is good, and I'm glad I did it that way. But on the other hand, I do think I could have followed the story a little better if I'd known more. But this morning I read a few details that helped, and now I understand a few of the nuances better.
Favorite scene? Masquerade. Gorgeous. So many colors, good music, and I felt like it started to pull the whole thing together at that point.
Here we are before the show. Christy, me, Bekah, Phantom, Laura, Alli.
0 comments:
Post a Comment