Early in this Christmas season, I began to meditate on this carol. I started singing each line and really thinking about what it meant. I began to put the song into my own words, to make it more real to me. "Listen! sang the angels designated for singing. God and sinners have been reconciled! After all these thousands of years of separation and longing to be near, they can be friends again!" The angels rejoiced over this. "Christ, who is adored by even the highest beings in heaven...Christ, the Lord who is everlasting...Look, He's come to earth through the womb of a virgin! He gently laid aside all of His great glory and came to earth so that no man would ever have to die again. And He, all the Godhead seen in the flesh, was pleased to come dwell here with his friends. Listen to us!! Rise up joyfully, and join us as we give glory to the King!"
Hark! The herald angels sing,
“Glory to the newborn King;
Peace on earth, and mercy mild,
God and sinners reconciled!”
Joyful, all ye nations rise,
Join the triumph of the skies;
With th’angelic host proclaim,
“Christ is born in Bethlehem!”
Hark! the herald angels sing,
“Glory to the newborn King!”
Christ, by highest Heav’n adored;
Christ the everlasting Lord;
Late in time, behold Him come,
Offspring of a virgin’s womb.
Veiled in flesh the Godhead see;
Hail th’incarnate Deity,
Pleased with us in flesh to dwell,
Jesus our Emmanuel.
Hark! the herald angels sing,
“Glory to the newborn King!”
Hail the heav’nly Prince of Peace!
Hail the Sun of Righteousness!
Light and life to all He brings,
Ris’n with healing in His wings.
Mild He lays His glory by,
Born that man no more may die.
Born to raise the sons of earth,
Born to give them second birth.
Hark! the herald angels sing,
“Glory to the newborn King!”
Come, Desire of nations, come,
Fix in us Thy humble home;
Rise, the woman’s conqu’ring Seed,
Bruise in us the serpent’s head.
Now display Thy saving power,
Ruined nature now restore;
Now in mystic union join
Thine to ours, and ours to Thine.
Hark! the herald angels sing,
“Glory to the newborn King!”
Adam’s likeness, Lord, efface,
Stamp Thine image in its place:
Second Adam from above,
Reinstate us in Thy love.
Let us Thee, though lost, regain,
Thee, the Life, the inner man:
O, to all Thyself impart,
Formed in each believing heart.
Hark! the herald angels sing,
“Glory to the newborn King!”
9 years ago
1 comments:
I love this one!! Like I said in my post - I can't pick a favorite. I love that you put it in your own words. How intimate!
Post a Comment