The first year was one of the best. Everything was new; everything was a challenge.
It's in Claremore. That's by Tulsa.
If I said it one time per day, I said it twenty.
Somehow during that year of following paw printed roads to high schools, packing lunches for all-day trips, asking for directions, and using gas station restrooms, we figured it all out.
That year was the also beginning of two scholarship programs - Honors and PLC. We recruiters beat the ground looking for excellent students to fill the interviews. We could not have been prouder of the students - our students - who were chosen.
In four years, some of that original class have moved on to other schools, other lives. Many, though, are still around. The same, only different. One, so timid and nervous at his PLC interview, gave an address at Commencement; another, from four hours away, has studied abroad and is headed to law school; another, who we originally thought was too squirly, is preparing for med school; the list goes on.
These are my kids. I claim them.
My first students graduated a couple weekends ago. It was very special and yes, emotional, for me. It was their accomplishment, but I secretly claim the tiniest portion.
All I did was ask them to come. All I did was offer them an opportunity that changed their lives.
Four years can make a man. Four years can make a woman.
This is why I love my job.
Congratulations to the Class of 2009...You will always be special to me.
First Graduating Class of Honors & PLC
0 comments:
Post a Comment