I would sit on the table, he would put two sticks in my mouth, I would gag, sometimes he would have to try again, and after having a stick jabbed in the back of my throat, the pain would be even worse than before. He would say yes it is strep again and would then write me a prescription and tell me to drink lots of fluids.
Mom would take me home and immediately give me my first spoonful of that nasty, pink, chalky medicine. Three times a day, she would give it to me.
Three times a day it was a struggle.
I remember sitting on the bathroom counter holding a teaspoon full of medicine, mom having given up and left long ago. And I just sat there.
For an extraordinarily long time...
...My arm got tired of holding the spoon perfectly still...
...But take the medicine I could not.
(Even now, I'm gagging just looking at the picture.)
I knew all the benefits of swallowing that little bit of pink. I knew it would make me feel better. I knew I needed to be obedient. I knew I would stay sick if I didn't take it. I knew I could get worse and be hospitalized if I didn't take it.
In my brain, it was so easy.
But sometimes my brain could not make my teeth unclench or my hand move the spoon to my mouth.
Today I found a new medicine. It's called 12-page paper, and I cannot make myself write it.
I know it has to be done. No one else can do it, and it is only for myself that it needs to be completed. I know the benefits of writing it. I know the consequences of not. I know it's just 12 pages - no big deal.
But I have hit a wall, and I can't get around it.
My brain says, "Write. Swallow this pink stuff."
My body says no, I absolutely will not.
It's a strange, uncontrollable feeling. Never have I felt this way about anything...
...except penicillin.
I don't know what I'm going to do.
I wish I could go get a shot in my rump and call it good.
2 comments:
Man...getting a 12-page paper shot into your tush. That might hurt - but maybe not as much as writing it! Good luck, and I hope you get past the writers' block soon.
"Hey self, write this 12 page paper, that puts me even closer to graduation!"
Post a Comment