Because we both love fall so very much, my mom bought me a beautiful and perfect pumpkin to celebrate the season. Dad carefully placed it outside my door so when I pull into the parking lot I have a happy hello.
Sunday evening, I opened my door to head to a birthday party and . . . *gasp*
. . . My beautiful pumpkin had been turned into an ugly stack of phone books!
I immediately knew who had done this* and sent a text to the perpetrator. "Thought for the day: Thou shalt not steal," and received a return, "It was The Great Pumpkin Snatcher." Knowing the prank would eventually be reversed, I went to my party and thought nothing else of it.
Upon my return home, the phone books reminded me of the prank. Little did I know that a seemingly innocent prank was about to turn much . . .
much . . .
darker.
My racing heart jumped into my throat . . .
Unable to bear the shock, I quickly entered my home and locked myself in. How could anyone do such a thing?
I know evil exists. But never did I expect such a horrific event to happen to me.
No one ever does.
Pumpkinnapping . . . Ransom.**
These words were unfamiliar on my tongue.
Reality sank in.
My beautiful pumpkin, so perfect and happy just hours before, had been snatched.
I removed the note from my door, careful to preserve as much evidence as possible. In my kitchen, I dusted it for fingerprints and noted the athletic tape the Snatcher had used.
Convinced I had gathered as much evidence an amateur could, I did the only thing else I knew to do.
I complied with the Snatcher's demands.
The Lord truly is good, and He knows what we have need of before we even do. One week before the snatching, I had been craving homemade chocolate chip cookies. I made a batch, which I had not done in many months ~ possibly a year. Unable to eat the entire batch, I put some in the freezer. I believe this was the Lord's prompting, for without it . . .
But I must not think of that.
I knew I had to write a return note, and I sat out to do so. Somehow through my anger and grief, I captured the words that needed to be said.
Early the next morning, I arose to make the drop.
My pumpkin was not returned that day. Never trust a thief.
With further negotiation, however, my pumpkin was returned safely to my doormat the following day.
Welcome home, sweet pumpkin. I love you.
*Every once in a while, phone books show up at our apartment complex. Two or three months ago, we had a massive phonebooking. We each had a thick Tulsa book at our doors one day, and a few days later we each had a smaller phone book on top of the mailboxes. Nobody uses phone books, so the mailbox books stayed where they were for a good month. One of my neighbors also still had his thick Tulsa book by his door a month later. These books withstood the rain extraordinarily well. And then one day all the mailbox books were mysteriously gone, stacked neatly in front of Kyle's door . . . All six of them, plus his Tulsa book. It may or may not have been me.
**Please take the time to calculate the value of one cookie.
3 comments:
Oh my goodness! I can't believe that! I don't know about that apartment complex: strange Christmas trees showing up, pumpkinnappings...I fear for you, sister. Always carry some Mace with you.
HAHAHAHA, thanks for the laugh on an early Monday morning! Love you!
That is one lovely pumpkin. Shame on The Great Pumpkin Snatcher!
Post a Comment