Pages

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Book Review: Secondhand Jesus

Month: February
Book: Secondhand Jesus: Trading Rumors of God for a Firsthand Faith
Author: Glenn Packiam
Length: 211
Start Date: February 14
End Date: February 27
Enjoyment: 5 out of 5
Value: 5 out of 5

When I began asking around about good non-fiction, I specified that I was not interested in self-help books. My plan for my year of reading was to learn some history, find out how strong leaders got to where they did, and read some interesting life stories. So I almost did not include Secondhand Jesus by Glenn Packiam, thinking it would go against my own rule. But it was my rule, so why couldn't I change it? Good news: this isn't a self-help book. It's a truth book.

I have known a little about Glenn Packiam for several years, but only in the music scene. Packiam is currently an Executive Pastor at New Life Church in Colorado Springs, but before that he was one of the founding members of Desperation Band. He was one of the speakers at this year's Christ for the Nations Worship Conference, and because his plane was delayed and our schedule was changed, I ended up in his breakout session. After that, I knew I had to read one of his books. He is one of those speakers who is intelligent, articulate, and just enough of a nerd that the nerd inside of me identifies with him.

In Secondhand Jesus, Packiam identifies four rumors that we as Christians, many times subconsciously, agree with: God Will Give Me What I Want; God Can Be Added to My List of Loyalties; God Is Pleased With My Goodness; and God Prefers Specialists. Each rumor has one chapter to describe it and one chapter to address a question relating to the rumor.

One of my favorite aspects of the book is the way Packiam uses theology and various traditions to reveal truth. But he doesn't just throw theology out there and hope his readers understand it. He explains it in real language in a practical way. I realized that even though I don't love research and studying, I sure like people who do. Another aspect I really enjoyed is that Packiam weaves his personal experiences throughout the book. Packiam was part of the staff at New Life during both a nationally discussed sex scandal and a Sunday morning shooting that killed two young women. Those two events shook his world and revealed changes that needed to be made in his own life.

Secondhand Jesus was an incredible book for me. For some time I had been struggling with anger toward God because He had not yet sent along my husband. As I read the chapters about God giving me what I want, the Lord revealed my sin to me. Packiam writes, "Obedience is not a sort of magic code" (p. 60). And later, "Disappointment is an agent of the cross. [...] Disappointment can open our eyes to all the ways we were hoping to be the one in charge. [...] God is to be obeyed because that is the proper response to an Almighty God. Obedience reminds us that we are the servants and He is the master" (p. 79-80). Zing! I thought to myself, "How many times have I said, 'But, God, haven't I done everything right?!? Why isn't this working?'" Obedience is not a magic code. And so I repented and am not mad at God. That is why I recommend this book without reservation. It literally changed my life.

This book is theologically sound, full of truth, and interesting and easy to read. I give it a 5 out of 5 in the Enjoyment category and 5 out of 5 in the Value category. I need to read it again...

0 comments: