This is slightly revised from something I wrote on May 1, 2011, after watching the royal wedding two days prior.
Being an American, I've never known much of royalty. After all, isn't that the point of being American? So to watch the wedding celebration was fascinating. It is giving me a new perspective on the Kingship of Jesus.
This wedding was particularly thought-provoking, being that it is the first time in 350 years that a commoner has married into the royal family. I've wondered what it must be like for Kate - now Her Royal Highness The Duchess of Cambridge - to go from common to fully royal in the matter of a few minutes. She had eight years to prepare for the change. But for it to really happen...for her to really become the princess...to, in every way, be in line for Queen. Queen. All because she and the prince fell in love and got married.
She met the Queen in December. Her first time to speak to the press was after the engagement. Her first post-wedding appearance was a carriage ride past a million admiring people on her way to the palace. Her second appearance was on the balcony overlooking thousands of adoring people. I can't imagine what must have been going through her head. She is now royalty, with ever right, privilege, and responsibility as if she had been born into the family.
But I wonder how long until she really believes that.
I am the bride of a king. Of the King. Do I really believe it? Do I really know the rights, privileges, and responsibilities I have as a member of the Royal family? Do I realize the incredibleness of walking on the arm of not just the one-day king, but the forever-reigning King?
Royals aren't royal because they are elected. They aren't royal because people like them. They aren't royal because they were the best for the job. They are royal just because they are members of the family. Because of a bloodline. And regardless of what they do or how they act, they are royalty. Catherine is royal because the prince chose her. That's the only way an outsider can become royal: marriage.
That's how I have been brought into the Family. As a bride...A bride to the King.
I don't understand it.
But I want to.
More to come...
9 years ago
0 comments:
Post a Comment