A couple months ago, we had several Fridays that were just completely full of drama at work. Not small drama...weird, crazy drama that I won't even start to go into. It wore us out! Not a good way to end the week. So Chelley and I decided that, in addition to Jeans Fridays, we were going to start having No-Drama Fridays. Now, this is a great idea and actually works. It's amazing how much less things bother you when you decide you're going to just let them go. Except for some days. Like today.
It all started at straight-up eight o'clock. This particular incident was my own fault; I willingly stepped right on in knowing full-well what I was getting myself into. But for some reason, I was still surprised at the result. Can my patience level for certain people/situations be lower than zero?
OK, shake it off, it's only 8:00 on No-Drama Friday. It's going to be a good day. And it was until about 2:30 when a student and her mother came in and threw an complete withdraw form at one of our staff members. It didn't have all the signatures it needed, nor was it filled out completely. When our staff member nicely told the student this, the mom threw the form across the desk, said they didn't have time for this, and they stormed out. Definitely the mature road.
It's No-Drama Friday. But in the middle of the 2:30 event, I was pushed overboard. This time it was an angry dad calling about his son being on suspension. Yes, the dad called, not the student. (Note: If you are the parent of a college student, or if you ever will be, or if you know anyone who is, or if you ever will know someone who is...Please...Make the student grow up and take care of his own academic and social issues and make him take the consequences for his decisions/actions.) So this dad called mad because we won't let his son take summer classes. Now, I had already discussed this issue with another person on campus yesterday, who apparently told this dad to call our office and ask for my boss by name. I was furious.
Finally at 4:00 Chelley and I decided it was, no matter what, going to be No-Drama Hour. And it was. (This is where a picture would go if Chelley and I had taken one this morning like we should have instead of waiting until 4:00 when neither of us looked like picture-time. So this is where the picture isn't. We'll take one someday.)
I came home and got online b/c I was trying to remember the second class I enrolled in for fall. And I don't have a second class. OSU doesn't bother telling students when they cancel a class, it just disappears from your schedule. That's fine...I firmly believe students should pay attention and take responsibility for their educational needs, so I'm OK with checking my schedule. However, they do seem to cancel at least one important class per semester in my program, which is frustrating. So now I don't know what I'm going to take to get me back up to 6 hours. I'll figure it out, but I'm really afraid the only other thing will be on Monday nights. And this, of course, is not a good plan for me. I have prior obligations on Monday nights. :)
Amy came over tonight and we ate and talked a lot. We watched The Great Debators which is great. Bekah, you really should watch it. Oh, and I went to the grocery store tonight. They're celebrating their 45th anniversary, so they had a Jupiter Jump, sno cones, and Safari Joe there. For those not from this area, Safari Joe has lots of animals. Like a giant snake he lets people put around their necks. Uh, no.
9 years ago
2 comments:
This week we'll get our full no-drama Friday! I'm determined!
I can't believe I missed Safari Joe!!! Boooo :(
"threw *a* complete withdraw form"
Post a Comment